Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cycling, or not cycling

It is December after all. I haven't been on my bikes in over a month now, and I'm definitely having withdrawal. I like cycling. It is freedom.

I've been riding a '10 speed' since I was 15, or maybe even younger I can't quite place the date, when I bought that white Peugeot that was all the rage back then in 1969 or so. Since then I've owned an Atala Grand Prix, an Austro-Daimler Inter-10, a Raleigh Competition, a custom built Davidson, a bike from Italy built for Zilioli, a Trek 8000 MTB, a Kuota Kharma, and now a Kuota Kredo with all the parts from the Kharma. I still have 4 of the last 5 mentioned there, the Kharma I crashed.

My regular rides are in Prospect Park, around and around, until I can't stand it anymore. This I do on weekdays after work, sometimes on weekends too when I don't have the time to go further. The other favorite is going to Piermont and Nyack, just like almost every other NYC cyclist. The only difference is that Brooklyn is a bit further. It is 70 miles r/t to Piermont, 75 or so to Nyack. The ride always includes hills, at least one coming back, and throw in the Alpine climb for good measure.

I do the more casual NYC organized rides, like the 5 boro, and the Tour de Bronx. I've done the 5 boro with the kids and they always have that sense of accomplishment when they're done. My son used my Trek, which is mostly his now, and one of my daughters rode it on her Specialized Dolce Vita, an all out road bike. The TdeBx is one of my favorites, but this year it was a bust. Oh well.

I'm going to do the indoor computrainer class again this year. I'll have to get my partner to do it with me again, although we have the hardest time coordinating. It took two months to figure out a time to ride in the park in the spring. And now in the fall she bought a beautiful new bike, and we've been trying to coordinate a ride and after-ride homebrew, but it hasn't happened.

Plans for the spring include doing more of the NYCC STS rides, maybe finally giving up on being an "A" rider as I get older. Maybe I can do the Seattle to Portland ride this year, but maybe not. It costs a small fortune to get there, find hotels, etc... I'll register, and then sell the entry if I can't use it. It always sells out and there are people begging to get in. This is the longest ride I've ever done, and I did it fast, but I was much younger then.

Enough for now, I've wasted enough of your time, and my time too...

No comments: